The fall semester is known as recruiting season for most colleges and universities. How a lot of these institutions recruit is through college fairs. There are local, state, and national college fairs. These fairs are somewhat like a one stop shop consisting of several different colleges and universities across the country. The purpose of these college fairs is to provide parents and students exposure to many different institutions. Representatives from these institutions set-up displays with promotional material about the school they represent. Then parents and students walk around, talk to representatives from the institutions, pick up material and request more information. Check your school calendar to see if your high school offers a college fair or ask your guidance counselor.
Here are a few tips on how to maximize your time at college fairs.
- Have an idea what you are looking for in a college or university. Check out our blog post “5 Factors to Consider When Searching for Colleges”.
- Find out from your guidance counselor what institutions will be attending the college fair.
- Make a list of the institutions and research the institutions in which you may be interested.
- Write down any questions you may have or want to ask the college representatives.
- Make sticker labels with first and last name, email address, and graduation year so if you want to fill out an information card you can place a sticker on the card.
- Dress nice, you are making a first impression.
- Bring a pen and paper just in case you need to take notes to remember the different colleges.
- Locate a welcome packet which should contain a map of where institutions are located in the room.
- Ask representatives any questions you may have.
- Once you have visited the institutions on your list look at other institutions.
- Attend the session at the end of the college fair. Many schools will provide a financial aid session with helpful information.
- In the coming weeks review any promotional materials you may have and research the schools that stood out to you the most.
As you can see attending college fairs can be very beneficial however it is always important to be prepared in order to receive the most out of the college fair experience.
Do you have any tips about attending college fairs?